Dear participants*, as you all know, the situation for cultural events is very confusing due to the pandemic situation. All the more reason for us to make every effort to plan ahead and realistically. We currently assume that the 48 Hours of Neukölln can take place as a hybrid festival next year.
It is very important to all of us to open the festival to the public again. However, our experience with the digital edition has also proven that we can digitally mirror the contents and events of the festival. An exciting exchange between digital and analog formats is our wish for the 2021 festival.
We will see more clearly after we receive your applications in March and will inform you about the current situation as soon as possible. We kindly ask you to develop the concepts for your applications in such a way that they take into account the special situation and deal with it creatively. We would like to encourage you to move your formats more to the outside world. Ideally, you should already develop an appropriate hygiene concept for your event and submit it with your application.
We are looking forward to your exciting and diverse ideas.
Dear Participants of the 48 Stunden Neukölln 2021
we look forward to an exciting and eventful festival and to your projects to the theme “Air”.
The complete process of registration, programme editorial and communication will take place on this homepage. The following functions are available to you:
• Register as a user.
• Submit applications for the Festivalbeitrag and for the Junge Kunstfestival.
• Submit applications in the registration free festival formats: Project spaces, open studios and guided tours.
• Submit an artist profile for your project and link it to your event.
• Create one or more locations for your project or, if you are in a different location, link them to your project.
• Programme editorial for the online and print programme.
• Communication through the Marketplace.
• Search for locations, projects and project partners on the Marketplace.
In the right hand column, you will find important information and suggestions that will help you with the single working steps. We tried to explain everything as easy as possible and ask you to use the suggestions on the homepage. Added to that, we wrote a detailed FAQ and soon we will provide Video Tutorials with important answers to questions.
If questions still arise, please contact the 48 Stunden Neukölln Team under 030 / 6824 74 78 -21 or -40.
Have fun with your preparations
Dr. Martin Steffens, Thorsten Schlenger and the team 48 Stunden Neukölln
Festival: June 18th until June 20th, Start: Fr 18.06. at 7 pm, End: Sun 20.06. at 7 pm.
- December 9th 2020 – Start of the application phase /Registration
- February 7th 2021: Application deadline for festival contributions
- March 9th: Decision on participation – After that the participants need to edit their festival contributions.
- April 31st: Last chance to register a location or to link to a location.
- April 4th: Registration deadline for open formats (open studios, galleries and guided tours).
- April 14th: Editorial deadline.
- May 21st: Programme is online.
- Institutes, project spaces, artist groups and single persons may apply for participation.
- Events that meet the criteria below may apply. An examination of the applications takes place through the Organisation team of 48 Stunden Neukölln.
- The performing project idea/event has to be content-related to the theme of the year.
- An exception to the theme orientation are open studios, galleries and guided tours that are integrated separately in the communication of the festival.
- Only projects that have been developed for the coming 48 Stunden Neukölln, or respectively not implemented in this form, are able to apply.
- Artists are usually only allowed to present their project in one place during the festival.
- The event locations have to be in the festival area (North Neukölln, within the S-Bahn-Ring).
- Events should be free of charge for the visitors.
- Open air stages and road closures are not allowed in 2020. Playing electronic amplified music in public spaces is only allowed until 6 pm at the moment. Details will be communicated before the application deadline.
- The artists themselves are responsible for finding a suitable space; depending on the possibilities, they will be helped by the project team if need be.
- Artists should not incur any additional costs for the use of venues for their participation in the festival. Additional allocations on the part of the co-organizers (with the exception of proportionate room rental and additional costs) are not permitted.
- Events with obvious commercial offers, special political party or religious-missionary contents will be excluded from participation.
- Participatory locations can only be registered by the responsible owner, main tenant or tradesperson.
- Non-compliance of the opening times and other important arrangements will lead to exclusion from further participation in the festival.
- Promotion through special funds of the festival
Through a grant from the Berlin Senate, the Kunstfestival 48 Stunden Neukölln will be able to financially support outstanding 2019 projects through the pro-rata payment of exhibition fees and material costs in a clearly defined framework.
General criteria that are used to assess the project ideas are:
• Creative realization of the annual theme
• Artistic quality
• Innovation of the project plans
• feasibility of implementation
A possible reward refers to three subareas:
1. Participation in the central group exhibition
The festival management will make a selection of all applications in close consultation with an external coordinator / curator. Participation in the central group exhibition will be rewarded with an exhibition fee of € 300 per artistic position (artist / artist group).
No separate application is necessary here. However, it is advisable to submit a project outline with concrete ideas and visualizations early on in order to increase the chances of being invited to participate.
2. Participation in a curated group exhibition within the framework of Art Space Lab
Up to six curatorial projects (for example, visual arts, film, performance) can be sponsored in the festival. This funding is primarily aimed at existing art spaces in Nord-Neukölln, which are open to the festival theme. However, artist groups or curators can also apply for temporary places. At the individual art locations, group presentations (usually 3 - 4 positions) should be organized. For each artistic position 300 € exhibition fees are available. For the coordination of the exhibition, a one-off payment of € 350 can be made. In addition, up to € 500 in material costs can be claimed for the realization of the exhibition project. The majority of artists should live in Berlin. The selected projects are selected by the coordinators in close coordination with the festival management.
In addition to the online application at www.48-stunden-neukoelln.de are to be uploaded as a PDF:
• exhibition concept (maximum 3 pages)
• List of intended artists with short biographies
• Illustrations of exemplary works
• Optional: floor plan of the exhibition space with provisional exhibition planning
Application until February 3rd 2020
3. Participation as an art project in the public space
In the series "Signals" installations and sculptural interventions will be created in three public squares. These should not only have a close connection to the festival theme, but above all they should offer opportunities for participation and content.
The funding is € 3000 for artists' fees including material costs. In addition, external helpers and supervisors can be financed. The organization in terms of permits and oversight is supported by a coordinator within the festival team. The selection is made by the coordinator in close coordination with the festival management.
In addition to the online application at www.48-stunden-neukoelln.de are to be uploaded as PDF:
• Concept (maximum 3 pages)
• Artist list with short biographies and references
• Sketch of the site with visualization of the planned work
Please apply in digital form by February 7th 2021
An early, personal contact with an application is expressly desired!
Please contact: Kulturnetzwerk Neukölln e.V., Karl-Marx-Straße 131, 12043 Berlin
Telephone: 030/68 24 78 17
- Funding by the Department of Culture
The Department of Culture of the Neukölln district office has been sponsoring projects that have been shown / presented within the 48 Stunden Neukölln. With a total volume of up to € 20,000, up to € 3,000 per project is eligible. The majority of the funding is spent on the implementation (material costs, fees of third parties). For organization and project management a maximum of 20% of the requested sum may be calculated. Further information: Kunstförderung 48 h Neukölln - Berlin.de
Application deadline: January 14th 2021
Please contact: Fachbereich Kultur / Bezirksamt Neukölln, Karl-Marx-Straße 141, 12043 Berlin
Bettina Busse (Bettina.Busse@bezirksamt-neukoelln.de),
Anna Lena Wollny (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Telephone: 030 / 90239 2431